Friday, May 14, 2010

Breathing New Life - Look How I Converted My Prom Jewelry


Obviously I don't need to tell you that is my before shot! The hair, the make up, it all screams style nightmare.... The earrings were gold discs with black tassels hanging off them. What a hoot!
Well I've recently started a craze of converting the junk jewelry I have lying around and these earrings were one of the first in line. Behold, the 'new' earrings....


So my first job was to remove the tassels, they are not going to be used in jewelry but could suit book marks.
I used wire cutters to remove the surgical steel post from the discs, I then had to use a metal file to smooth down the sharp stump on the back of each disc. This was the most time consuming and painful part - hand cramp!
From my treasure box I found the two ivy leaf charms, and from my bead spice rack (spice rack where all the jars and bottles are full of beads!) I selected the four green cloisonne beads.
Then I simply had to assemble the new jewelry, I used eye pins to connect the leaf to the cloisonne bead and made a loop to hang it from the disc. For the top I used an eye pin to connect the disc to the cloisonne bead, finished off with a loop, and put a small jump ring and french ear wire to complete.

But my favourite converted jewelry is a pair of my dad's vintage cufflinks that I cut and filed the cufflink attachment off to make cabochons which I set into a bracelet settings, I get one, and the other is available in my etsy store www.starzyia.etsy.com



7 comments:

Edie Marie's Attic said...

What an adorable photo! You are like a beautiful work of art!! But I love what you did to makeover the earrings... you're right, the tassels were a bit much. LOL I love what you do with jewelry and tiny objects to give them new life!!

Hugs, Sherry

zhuzhicong said...

你的部落格很棒,我期待更新喔 .........................................

Starry said...

awwwh thanks Sherry.... I love your blog, just added it to stumble upon for ya!

Chez said...

Starry, think you are magnificent in your prom pic. A sign of the times.
Moving right along..love your conversion and know there will be many enthusiastic buyers should you decide they are for sale.
Always in my thoughts dear friend xo

Starry said...

Hi Chez,

I was just thinking about you and wondering how you are. I have been so busy in my own little world. Its nice to know you can use the computer at all, I worry about your pain and whether you are able to do much... I know you are not one to enjoy being idle.

I have opened a new store on a site similar to etsy, but for Australian handmade only, and the checkout is for Aussie dollars!

Take care beautiful friend, xoxoxo Starry

JayH_Yelton0曹曹 said...

如果你不思考未來,你便不會有未來 ..................................................

St0623evenT_Rossiter said...

微風成人 ut視訊交友 彩虹聊天 a免費線上 手機視訊交友 女優露點影片 性感車展美女 av影片下載 走光+偷拍+自拍 彩虹視訊聊天室 85cc 情趣 18h 可愛視訊少女 85ccst影城 歐美a片論壇 007情色小說 自拍色情圖 彰化一夜情聊天室 s383影城 完美女人工廠 影音視訊聊天 做愛美女 視訊辣妹網 人妻自拍 歐美熟女做愛成人 視訊成人網 空姐性愛影片 aa圖免費看 美女寫真貼圖 85cc免費成人 成人短片 情色貼圖 視訊聊天 杜蕾斯貼圖區正妹牆 正妹援交 嘟嘟情人色網貼圖 鋼管秀 avvcd 洪爺影片城 國中大奶f sex888免費影片 色遊戲下載區 巨乳人妻影片 性貼圖 後宮 限制級遊戲 0204成人電影 免費性愛貼片 走光照